Shea Transport – Manukau, NZ
Learn how Shea Transport streamlined operations by ditching paper dockets and ensuring all paperwork is received, electronically, daily.
Based in Manukau, Shea Transport has provided trusted transport and distribution services to New Zealand for 25 years with a fleet of 4×2, 6×4, 8×4 and truck and trailer setups.
Shea Transport got their first truck and trailer tipper in early 2021, primarily contracted to Rock and Rubble, carting all sorts of metal. Through his connections, operations manager Fletcher Brown has managed to get enough work for Shea Transport to buy an extra brand-new tipper setup.
Matt Fairley came on board in late March and takes care of the admin, maintenance costs and budgeting side of the business. Shea Transport implemented MyTrucking for its tippers about three months ago, and he hopes they will be able to integrate the parcel trucks into the programme in the future too.
How was the workflow previously managed?
Prior to MyTrucking, Matt explains that Shea Transport operated a time-consuming manual system. “Lots of paperwork and scanning, dockets, emails and data entry – it took up a lot of time.”
What issues needed to be resolved?
“Rock and Rubble, who we contract to, requires dockets daily, and we wanted to keep up with them and speed up the process. The drivers would have the dockets in their truck and we didn’t get them back daily. We wanted to streamline how things were done and make life easier.”
Shea Transport joined MyTrucking in 2022.
- Dockets returned sporadically – weeks or sometimes months after jobs
- Time wasted entering data manually
- Dockets uploaded daily
- Easy to run reports e.g income vs km and monitor fleet efficiency
- Integrations with EROAD and Xero streamline tasks
- Massive time savings on admin
“Rock and Rubble were using MyTrucking already and showed us how we could set up a portal to get dockets directly. We set up a meeting with Natalie and thought it could work for us, and it’s working, man, it’s saved us a lot of admin.”
How easy was it switching to MyTrucking?
“Very easy, with a lot of support from Natalie. She managed to get a product list and codes from Rock and Rubble and imported it into our system, so we didn’t have to enter any data, which was a massive time saver for us.
“It’s easy to work out how to do things, it’s a very well-designed system, you’ve really hit the nail on the head with it.”
Where has MyTrucking helped most?
“Getting the information from the drivers to the invoicing stage. It’s all done through devices rather than having to bring dockets back to the office. At the moment, our trucks are parked at Rock and Rubble, they’re not here, so sometimes we didn’t get dockets back for a week or even a month. Now, the drivers can upload every run, while they’re getting filled.
“It streamlines everything and makes it so much easier.”
What are the key benefits that MyTrucking provides?
- Drivers simply upload the dockets on their devices and it is easy to pull a report and send it off, or access it through the portal.
- Integrations with Xero and EROAD. Xero for invoicing, previously all data was manually entered into Xero, which took a long time. The integration with EROAD means Matt can quickly and easily run reports on things like income versus kilometres, again saving time. This makes monitoring the fleet efficiency simple.